From The Director
The end of the school year is rapidly coming into view, and everyone is excited for the summer break. However, before we wrap up the 2017-18 school year, there is still much to be done. In today’s Director Letter I want to touch on a few important items for all PCK parents:
- Last Day of School – As in past years, our last two days of school were each half days — one dedicated to field day and the other for class parties. This year we asked the PCK Board to approve our combining of these two half days into one action-packed day, and then just end the year. We won’t lose a single minute of calendar time, we are just consolidating the last two half days of our 2017-18 school calendar. So, now our last day will be TUESDAY, JUNE 5th, and it will be a FULL day, meaning we’ll start at 8 a.m. and end at 3:10 p.m., per our usual schedule.
We will take care of some end-of-year business, including Kindergarten graduation in our Events Gym from 8:00 – 9:45 a.m., and then we’ll start Field Day out back on our new field and in our Sports Gym. Students in grades 1-6 will participate in events (led by 7th grade) from 10 a.m. to around 11:30, then take a short break for lunch, and resume events around 12 noon through 1:45. Field Day will then be followed by class parties from 2:00 – 3:00 p.m. Carpool will run as usual at 3:10, 3:20 and…if there’s anyone left…3:30 p.m. That’s an action-packed day in my book!
- Staffing Changes for next year – We always hate to lose good people, but we are happy for the new adventures of the following staff members who will not be returning to PCK next year:
- Chris Reifsteck, MS Math, is moving to England. Tea anyone?
- Stephanie Gustin, 2nd Grade, just became a stay-at-home mom…Congratulations to the proud parents! Jordan Burdette, Resource Teacher, will be the newest addition to the 2nd grade team. She’s already hard at work having shifted from RT to classroom teacher for the final month of this school year.
- Debbie Kupper, former 4th Grade and Resource Teacher, is retiring. Enjoy the next chapter, Deb, and thank you for 23 fabulous years at PCK!
Joining the PCK staff next year is:
- Patrick Giles – MS Science teacher (filling the vacancy of Mrs. Dukes who left in December)
- Richard Parkes – MS Math teacher (replacing Mrs. Reifsteck)
- Jennifer Gauthier – Resource Teacher, filling Jordan Burdette’s RT position
- Misty Jenkins – Resource Teacher, filling Debbie Kupper’s RT position
3. Gala Thanks – PCK Foundation members hosted another fabulous Gala event last Saturday night at the Colorado Golf Club. The hard work, creativity, and pure passion to raise funds for PCK was readily evident throughout the event. Foundation members worked tirelessly all year (and all evening) to create a fun and successful fundraiser. From the silent auction and live auction, to the paddle raise event and other engaging activities, the 2018 Gala committee covered all the bases. Thank you to all of our hardworking Foundation members, volunteers who worked the event, donors who contributed auction items (including PCK students who donated their amazing artwork), and to all the parents who attended and generously contributed to a successful fundraising event for PCK. On behalf of the entire PCK staff and community, thank you, thank you, thank you!
4. FunD Run Thanks – Nicole Post and Marlene Warr ran another fantastic FunD Run for the students last Friday. With picture perfect weather on tap, and LOTS of parents cheering them on, PCK students enjoyed helping raise money for our school. We don’t have the final numbers yet, but if energy and enthusiasm are any indication, the kids absolutely did their part. Thank you to everyone involved!
5. Chitty Chitty Bang Bang goes ‘live’ this weekend. Tickets are still available online for both Friday and Saturday performances. Visit the PCK website for more information, or click here to purchase your ticket today. This annual musical theater event is always a highlight of PCK’s spring semester! Don’t miss it…there are both matinee and evening performances.
Finally, the PCK staff would like to thank ALL of our dedicated parent volunteers for the numerous hours and countless demonstrations of generosity and support throughout the school year. Without your willingness to assist with so many of our volunteer needs, we simply could not do all that we do for and with our students. Therefore, it will be our pleasure to appreciate you next Friday, May 11th during carpool. And, as an added gesture of our appreciation, the staff has a special surprise for all parents who (as of Friday, May 4) have met or exceeded the 20 hr/year volunteer commitment. Please check your email on Monday, May 7th for further details.
Don’t Miss Chitty Chitty Bang Bang This Weekend
Our 5th-8th grade students are hard at work on this fun classic. You and your family won’t want to miss it, so get your tickets today!
May 4th and 5th
1:00 pm and 6:00 pm
Chitty Chitty Bang Bang is presented by special arrangement with Music Theatre International (MTI). All authorized performance materials are also supplied by MTI. www.MTIShows.com
PCK Talent Show Goes High Tech
It is time to audition for the annual PCK Talent Show! Students in grades 3 – 8 are encouraged to audition as individuals or in group acts. All auditions and permission forms must be submitted by May 14 using the Google Form below. We will not have live auditions this year. Please submit only one 30 second audition video per act. As always, all acts must be Elementary School appropriate, and may showcase any type of talent.
The Talent Show is May 30th at 6:00 pm, with a mandatory rehearsal on May 29.
Our Students Had A Great Day At The FunD Run
It was a beautiful day and everyone had a blast at the Run – thank you to all who came out to support the students. Our students ran a total of 14,429 laps, equaling 901 miles. That’s like running from Denver to just past Tucson, AZ!
The average number of laps per student was 26.5. The highest class average was Ms. Bloyer’s 5th grade class with 36.73 laps per student.
Students went home with their lap totals on their t-shirts and collection envelopes so they can contact their current and new sponsors to collect donations. Donors can go to www.r4funds.com/parker to place online pledges. Checks should be made payable to The Foundation at PCK. Pledges are due THIS FRIDAY, May 4th.
You can track your online donations at www.r4funds.com/parker . User name: core, Password: cougar
- 5/4/2018: All Pledges Due
- Students should collect all pledges in the collection envelopes provided to them.
- Please make sure all checks and cash are in the collection envelope with each student’s information on the envelope.
- 5/25/2018: Prize Day – all prizes earned will either come home or be enjoyed at school.
PCK Needs Are Met Thanks To Parents At The Gala
We couldn’t have asked for a more beautiful evening for PCK’s 3rd Annual Gala last Saturday at the Colorado Golf Club. The event raised over $40,000 for PCK, including $18,400 in the Paddle Raise for library and middle school seating, class sets of Google virtual reality devices, a new kiln for the art room, and various middle school and PE needs. It was especially wonderful to see so many “threepeat” families like the Aplins, Becks, Brunners, Calandras, Deans, Dykstras, Farieses, Ferrells, Fondas, Goodes, Harths, Mockuses, Quint/Miyakis, Thompsons, Whitmores and Yanzitos. Special thanks to sponsors Ben Miyaki with LifeTime Fitness, Vince Reece with Plum Funding and Janet Brunner with The Brunner Bunch.
In order for the Foundation to continue holding events like the Gala, we need volunteers. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or any member of the Foundation and ask how you can get involved for next year.
PTA Meeting Next Tuesday
The next PTA meeting is Tuesday, May 8, at 6:30pm, in the Middle School Commons. All are welcome, so come find out how you can get connected with this great organization. Plus, you get volunteer hours just for coming to the meeting!
Bring In Your Box Tops
Last year, PCK earned $1,629 from the Box Tops program. This year our goal is $2,000! The contest runs through May 11th.
Please trim your Box Tops, group them into bundles of 50, and place them in a Ziploc bag. If you have less than 50, label the amount on the bag and send it in.
Remember to write the name of your child’s teacher on the bag. We receive hundreds of Box Tops with no names. If there is not a teacher’s name on the bag, your class will not receive credit for them. The top two classes will receive a party from the PTA!
If you have any questions or are looking for volunteer hours, contact the Box Top coordinators: Stephanie Clarke: email@example.com (720) 341-9005, or Kristen Blackburn firstname.lastname@example.org (720) 299-1964
We Have A Soccer Star In Our Midst
8th grader Fallon Anderson plays on the Colorado Real DA 04 Girls soccer team. Her team is currently ranked #1 in the country! They played 3 of the top ranked teams last weekend at the US Soccer Showcase in Greensboro, NC to secure their spot. They scored a total of 16 goals and gave up zero. Amazing! Congratulations, Fallon!
The Art Department would like to thank our small team of parent volunteers who stepped up to plan, make and create several classroom art projects for the Gala. This was a big project and we are so grateful.